As a relationship coach and therapist, I truly believe love is the essence of life. The capacity to love – and be loved – represents the harmony between giving and receiving. True joy in life comes from achieving that balance.
Want more love in your life? There’s no better time than the present, especially considering February is love’s official month, with Valentine’s Day as its crowning moment.
Many people love Valentine’s Day because it reminds them just how fulfilling it is to give and receive love. But come February 15, it’s easy to get caught up in the busy-ness of life and lose sight of the continued importance of doing so.
That’s why I’m for making every day an opportunity to share and express our love – and to receive expressions of love with grace as well.
How? Make giving and receiving love a habit. Here are six simple tips to do just that:
1. Create a “love list” of the people who mean the most to you (spouse, partner, kids, siblings, friends) and put a reminder on your calendar to send a just-because-I-love-you card or email to at least one of them weekly or biweekly.
2. Single or divorced and yearning to be in a relationship? Investigate and attend activities that are interesting to you via meet-up groups, park district or college classes or just a monthly outing with supportive friends.
– If you’re interested in relationship coaching, take advantage of my free 30-minute phone consultation to see if it’s right for you.
3. If you’re in a long-term relationship, make it a daily habit to connect in a way that’s meaningful to you partner – even if just for a few minutes.
4. If your partner or spouse is unsure what would be meaningful to you, ask if he or she would like a suggestion. When they do as you’ve asked – even if it’s not exactly as you described – accept it graciously!
– The same goes for receiving gifts and compliments; say “Thank you so much” rather than “You shouldn’t have” or “It was on sale!”
5. Parents…set the alarm on your mobile phone each day when you know you’ll be with your kids so you can give each of them special attention, acknowledgment and/or affection.
6. Put yourself on your love list! Whether it’s buying yourself a gorgeous bouquet of flowers, an evening with your best pal at a sports bar or a day off-the-internet-grid, be sure to give yourself the gift of love.
The more we allow love to permeate our lives, the richer our lives will be. Promise!